Case Study: Advanced Direction Signs (ADS) replacement
Essential sign installation and maintenance project: a number of old ADS on steel and concrete posts in the Royal Vale area network required urgent replacement with passive safe Lattix masts.
- Scope: Removal and replacement of seven ADS
- Client: Cheshire West and Chester Council/Bam Nuttall
- Area: A49 and A556 roads in the Vale Royal area, Cheshire
- Value: £30,000
- Date: December 2011 (seven days)
Due to the location of the signs on a busy network, both urgent replacement and the potential disruption caused by the works was one of the main challenges of the project.
JPCS used the innovative Groundscrew® as the foundation for installing seven new ADS. Groundscrew® is a robust foundation system and a sustainable alternative to traditional concrete foundations for traffic sign installation and marker posts. The system removes the need for excavation and concreting, significantly reducing sign installation time, long term costs and traffic management requirments. The Groundscrew® system is compatible with Lattix masts and other passively safe posts.
- JPCS replaced the seven ADS in seven days instead of the normal three weeks – a third of the time – when compared with traditional concrete foundations, due to the speed in which signage can be erected using Groundscrew®
- Each ADS was taken down and the new signs erected in one shift, significantly reducing disruption to road users
- Considerable cost saving generated
- Reduced traffic management requirements
- Reduced environmental impact
- Improved safety
- Improved client perception.